Yesterday I used the Instagram question in stories and asked my friends, “What are 3 things you are thankful for in the past week?” I was curious and wondered what it was that people were thankful for. I’ve also been tinkering with the thought of how to make social media like-able, less intimidating and more real. You see, I get the pressures that social media brings. I feel it. Lately I’ve been trying to “fast” from Instagram by using it later in the day. On some days, I use it as early as 9AM, but on others I start using it by 11AM or 5PM. It really depends on the state I’m in when I wake up. When I know i’m feeling a bit heavy and not motivated, the longer I stay away from it. If i’m feeling OK, I allow myself earlier time. Don’t get me wrong–I love social media. I live and breathe digital because of work. But the truth is you can drown in it and at times, let it consume you.
The small effort of Instagram fasting has done wonders to my days. Aside from me not feeling the pressures of life so early in the morning, I get more time to relax, pray, and do work without the noise of social media in my head. That time led me to think, what type of post would help my friends instead of show them just me, me and ME? I also remembered the production, Every Brilliant Thing, and realized that finding out what actually makes others happy–no matter how small–would be the best thing to learn and share with everyone.
I had the intention of sharing the responses only in stories, but after reading what people shared, I thought it deserved a post. I narrowed it down to 40 items.
Things people are thankful for:
- A good morning routine
- Salad bowls
- Hardworking partners/husbands
- A chance to study again
- Loved ones
- Being able to work with a great team/hardworking employees
- The ocean
- Opportunities dressed as surprises
- Honest 2AM conversations
- Netflix + Food Panda
- Progress in his/her current job
- Time to manage a household
- Sisig with egg
- Time to play with his nephew
- Progress in the health of a loved one
- Opportunities that come to help pay for an upcoming wedding
- Good movies
- Opportunities that allow her to make a small difference everyday
- Her dog
- Her daughter
- New golf clubs
- Progress in his housing project
- Access to good food
- Getting home earlier than usual
- People that lift her up
- An opportunity to paint again
- A supportive family
- Coffee by the beach
- Playing games with the person he loves
- Her mom
- God’s grace that gets her through life.
- Plana Forma in Alabang
- Busyness and productivity but not in an overwhelming and toxic way
- Pushing herself to get back on a treadmill
- Waking up everyday—the gift of new life
- Good health
If you find yourself lucky enough to have even some of these in your life, then know that you are blessed, and that these things are probably what other people are praying for everyday.
Thank you to everyone who took time to answer my Instagram story. You made my day, and now you’re probably making another reader of this post smile as well.